One of the most sought-after hair treatments is hair straightening. With so many advertisements showing models with silky smooth and straight flowing hair, you might also be tempted to get yours done. Whether hair straightening is done in the comforts of your own home or in the facilities of a renowned hair salon, one thing is certain: you have to give it extra care to make it last.
Below, Circles of Subiaco shares some do's and don’ts after getting a hair strengthening treatment:
Hairstylists can use thio-straightening, hydroxide, and thermal reconstruction in hair straightening. Here are the things you need to do to maintain the straightness of your hair.
- For thio-straightened hair, apply hair conditioner as recommended by your hairstylist on a daily basis. Using a moisturiser-rich yet gentle shampoo can also work.
- For thermally-reconstructed hair, follow your hairstylist’s instructions. This method often requires more frequent moisturiser application.
- Always use a wide-toothed comb to remove the tangles in your hair. Never use a brush or fine-toothed comb.
- Schedule a weekly deep hair conditioning treatment with your hairstylist. The frequency actually depends on the nature of your hair as well as the assessment of your hairstylist.
- Wait for 3 days after straightening before you can start washing, shampooing and conditioning your hair.
- Use hair serum as protection for your hair against UV rays, pollution and dust.
- Invest in protein-rich foods as well as those rich in zinc, selenium and Vitamin E.
Caring for your straightened hair also involves avoiding the following.
- Don’t wash, shampoo, condition, or even wet your hair for 3 days after hair straightening.
- Don’t put your hair behind your ears or tie them up or even use hair pins or any other hair accessory.
- Don’t use hot water for washing your hair because this will remove moisture.
- Don’t use any form of heating tools like hair irons and hair blowers. If you have to blow dry your hair, use the blower’s cool blast mode instead.
- Don’t color or highlight your hair for no less than 6 months after hair straightening.
Hair straightening requires meticulous hair aftercare. It is important to remember these do's and don’ts to fully enjoy the benefits of having straight smooth hair.