A properly functioning battery is crucial for properly working hearing aids. The service life of batteries depends on a couple of factors, which include the hearing aid type, battery type, your daily environment, and the duration of your daily hearing aid use. If you want to make the most of your hearing aids, then you should know its maintenance.
If you want the batteries to last as long as they’re supposed to, consider the following suggestions:
- For new battery packs, only remove the individual plastic tabs placed at the back of a battery when you’re going to use them. Batteries for hearing aids are zinc-air powered, which means that air activates them. Removing the tab means that you’re activating the battery.
- When it’s time to remove the tab, wait for at least a minute before putting in your hearing aid for it to have enough time to take in the air for activating your hearing aid.
- Always store your batteries at average room temperature. The practice of placing batteries in the refrigerator to make them last much longer does not apply to batteries run by zinc-air. Likewise, keep batteries away from keys, coins, and other metals since these could short-circuit them.
- Dirt and grease that comes in contact with batteries could damage the hearing aid so always wash your hands before replacing the battery. With this in mind, The Hearing Care Shop reminds buying hearing aid batteries of that are of top quality.
- Always turn off your hearing aid, put it away in a safe place and leave the battery case open. This will minimise battery draining and enable moisture release to prevent damage and corrosion to your hearing aid. Remove the battery if you’re planning on not wearing your hearing aid for a long time.
- Similar to all types of batteries, unused hearing aid batteries could last multiple years, but know that its power will diminish with each year that passes. Put simply, new ones will always be more potent.
Keep in mind that your hearing aids won’t help your with your poor hearing if it doesn’t get sufficient power. Remember the aforementioned suggestions to prolong battery life, and so that you don’t ever have to worry about your hearing.