Doctors always say that people should drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Drinking less than the recommended amount can lead to dehydration. But, what if you exceed eight? Having more than the average isn’t necessarily bad, but excessive consumption within a short period of time is a different matter.
Water purifier providers such as PurityWater.com.au recognise the need of people for clean and safe drinking water. Drinking fresh water won’t guarantee that you’re risk free from water poisoning, though.
How Water Poisoning Occurs
Hyponatremia or water poisoning occurs when you drink too much water in a hurry. This instigates an imbalance of electrolytes in your body fluid, causing disruption in normal brain function. Water is non-toxic in itself. But, rapidly drinking large amount of it can dilute your body’s sodium compound balance.
Through urine and perspiration, the body processes and excretes fluids. Hyponatremia, however, contributes to the fluid’s osmotic shift inside and outside the cells. This activity creates pressure that causes the cells (mostly in the central nervous system, including the brain) to swell.
Too much of this pressure kills the cells, which may result in nausea, headache, light-headedness and vomiting. In a more serious case where the level of sodium in the blood plasma drastically drops, you can experience seizures, brain swell, coma and possibly, death.
Who is at Risk?
The excessiveness of water amount mainly depends on a person’s health, physical activity and the air temperature during which they drink water. The effect of drinking four litres of water in a short period of time differs for an idle person and the one who is heavily sweating due to physical activities.
As dangerous as hyponatremia is, you can completely avoid it. Pay attention to the amount of water you drink in one sitting. Do not deprive yourself of sufficient water, though, as doctors say that it’s more important to avoid dehydration than water poisoning.